Howto hero-outlook-2011-outlook-com

Published on September 15th, 2013 | by Kieran

Configuring Outlook 2011 with Outlook.com using IMAP

While Microsoft still does not support Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) for use with Outlook 2011 and Outlook.com service, they have just announced support for IMAP. While it’s not as nice as EAS it’s a big improvement over the existing POP3 support.

Here is a quick step-by-step guide to setting us your Outlook.com account with Outlook for Mac 2011.

1. Open Outlook 2011 on your Mac

2. Click on Tools and then on Accounts.

3. Click Add an Account or click Add add and then click Email.

outlook-2011-accounts

4. In the Enter your account information, enter your username and password. Be sure to Remove the check from Configure Automatically.

Enter the following information:

• Username: your email address
  • Type: IMAP
  • Incoming Server: imap-mail.outlook.com
  • Server port: 993
  • Use SSL to connect: checked
  • Outgoing Server: smtp-mail.outlook.com
  • Server port: 587
  • Override default port: checked
  • Use SSL to connect: checked

Then click, Add Account.

enter-information-imap

To verify that everything is working, the amber status light next to the name of your account should turn green.

accounts

All going well that should be you all set to go.

Tags: , , , , ,

About the Author

has worked with computers and technology for nearly 20 years. Based in the United Kingdom, he works throughout EMEA as a Solution Consultant, specialising in Fax & Document Distribution technologies. Predominantly blogging on KieranLane.com he can also be found on Twitter @KieranLane, and Flickr.

20 Responses to Configuring Outlook 2011 with Outlook.com using IMAP

1. Johan says:

Hi Kieran,

Thanks for this info, I’m new to mac and I need to get used to a lot of new (mostly better) ways of doing thins.

I’ve set up my email in outlook as per your instructions and the IMAP exchange works well with all the mail items, sent, drafts, junk etc. All the folders under the inbox have synced as well, the only thing is the inbox itself has not synced any messages. Is there something I’m missing or did I do something wrong?

If you have any ideas or advice it would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Johan

• Kieran says:

Hi Johan

When you say the inbox itself has not synced any messages, do you mean no emails have appeared in your inbox?

Kieran

• Johan says:

Hi Kieran,

Thats right, no emails in the inbox, only e-mails in the folders under inbox.

The history is that I first added the hotmail account as pop3, I then discovered your website and deleted the account as well as the messages from outlook and added the account as IMAP. I suspected that there could be some indication that the messages were downloaded already which inhibited the syncing of the IMAP inbox.

Furthermore the account was set to download only headers and so there shouldn’t have been a problem.

I deleted the main identities and all the e-mail data to start over fresh and to download all the mails (not just images) which it is currently doing, but still it seems that the inbox is empty. Under all the folders or mail items such as sent, it indicates “downloading 12/34” but not in the main inbox folder itself.

Perhaps I should give it some time but judging on the previous round with where only the headers were downloaded I suspect that this will be the same?

Any suggestions?

Johan

• Kieran says:

Hi Johan

Perhaps give it a bit of time. As a matter of interest if you access your account using web access do you still see all the mails in the inbox?

Kieran

• Johan says:

Kieran,

Thanks, I’ll do that.

Yes, all the email messages are in the inbox online as well as in outlook on my windows pc.

Johan

• hope says:

Have exactly the same issue. All folders syncs except Inbox. It always shows Syncing pending for this folder. I can send email fine from the account, Sent folder and drafts syncs, but not inbox. I’ve tried all the IMAP options, deleted everything and start from scratch but no luck: quite perplexing…

• Kieran says:

Hi Guys

I have been doing a bit of research and it looks as though you guys are not alone. Even on the official Microsoft blog that announced IMAP support (http://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft-outlook/archive/2013/09/12/outlook-com-now-with-imap.aspx), users are reporting huge inconsistencies in their experience using IMAP with the Outlook.com service.

Will be sure to make note of any developments, please let me know if things improve for you also.

Kieran

2. Jeremias Tovar says:

I set up the hotmail as IMAP as your recommendation, worked one day and doesn’t want to work again.

3. Freo says:

Hi ,Kieran. I followed your instructions carefully but sending mail is not possible. I’m getting this message:

5.7.3 Requested action aborted; user not authenticated

Cannot send mail. The SMTP server does not recognize any of the authentication methods supported by Outlook. Try changing the SMTP authentication options in Account settings or contact your network administrator.

Account name: “Freo’s hotmail”

Can you help me out?

4. Jonathan says:

HI

i have the same problem like Johan. only the Inbox does not sync but i have to add the other folders under the in box by hand.

So perhabs just make an Inbox folder under inbox and a roul to delegate all income to that folder

5. zee says:

Hi Kieran,

Thanks so much for posting this. It was very helpful.

I was wondering if you could tell me how to keep the emails downloaded in Outlook from going away in the event that something happened to IMAP. I still want to be able to hop on another device such as my phone or ipad, and be able to see an email that has been read with out it going away.

Thanks in advance.

6. Laura says:

thank you so much! this has fixed my problem!!!!!!! i now have my outlook just like it was in windows!! 🙂

7. Sean says:

I just got Office 2011 and am configuring an msn acct on a mac. I have settings as above, which got all folders to sync… thankfully!!! However, I get this message when I try to send from this ancient msn account: Outlook cannot find the server. Verify the server information is entered correctly in the Account Settings, and that your DNS settings in the Network pane of System Preferences are correct.
    outgoing: imap-mail.outlook.com port: 993
    incoming: smpt-mail.outlook.com port: 587
    use ssl checked for both in and outgoing

What am I missing on the outgoing?

Thanks

Sean

8. Sean says:

actually found this for the above problem: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2492871

9. A says:

So helpful, thank you so much for the clear instructions!

10. TeslaTech says:

Thanks for this information, easy to apply and it worked

11. Richard says:

Hi Kieran,
    Synch email from outlook.com in outlook 2011 works perfectly.
    Do you know how I can synch my contacts and appointments as well? He does not doe that automatically?
    Thanks!