Published on January 10th, 2011 | by Kieran0
Huawei E585 – MiFi from 3
I have been a 3 Mobile Broadband customer for about two years now and over the weekend Idecided to replace my Huawei E180 USB dongle with the new Hauwei E585 MiFi device. It seems that they are quite popular as a few Carphone Warehouse stores had sold out and were having problems with replacement stock. Thankfully I was able to pick one up in the 3 Store in Dundrum Town Centre.
Naturally the cost of the device depends on if you go for a contract or not. In this case from FREE if you signed into a contract or €69 if you bought the device RepPay / Pay As You Go.
Initial charge took about 8 hours to complete, and according to the specs the battery should last up to 4 hours with continuous use. Having used it for a few days now, it seems to last about 3 1/2 hours on a single charge. Which doesn’t bother me too much as I can just plug it onto the laptop via USB to charge.
The device specifications, as detailed on the Huawei Device website: http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/productFeatures.do?pinfoId=2682&directoryId=2462&treeId=462
- Operating frequency(3G): HSUPA/HSDPA/UMTS 2100/900 MHz
- Operating frequency(2G): GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
- Speed: HSUPA 5.76Mbps; HSDPA 7.2Mbps
- Dimensions: 95.5mm × 49.0mm × 14.1mm
- Weight: 90g(including the battery)
- Receive Diversity: HSUPA/HSDPA/UMTS 2100/900 MHz
- LED: OLED
- Battery: 1500 mAH, Maximum working time: 4 hours, Maximum standby time: 100 hours
- Micro SD card slot: Yes (Up to 32GB)
- Internal Memory: 128MB Flash, 64MB RAM
- WiFi: 802.11.b/g
- Encryption: WEP, WPA, WPA2
- OS: Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7; Mac OS X 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6 with latest upgrades