Published on December 12th, 2012 | by Kieran82
Resetting Administrator Password in Windows 2008
Being in my line of work, I make use of dozens of test servers and virtual machines and from time to time I can forget what the administrator password is. To save time, usually I would use the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor to simply reset the password. However I was told of another useful method using the Microsoft Windows Server 2008 installation DVD / ISO Image. It’s a breeze to reset the password so I thought I would share. Personally I have tried this on a standalone Windows Server 2008 R2 but it should also work with Domain Controllers for resetting domain administrator passwords.
- Boot from the Micrsoft Windows Server 2008 DVD
- From the Install Windows menu, click “Next”.
- Select “Repair your computer”
- In the System Recovery Options, select the Operating System instance that you wish to repair and click “Next”.
- Select “Command Prompt”. The
- At the command prompt, run the following commands:
ren Utilman.exe Utilman.exe.old
copy cmd.exe Utilman.exe
- Reboot the server allowing Windows to load as normal
- At the logon screen, press Windows Key + U.
- As the command prompt, enter the following command:
net user administrator Password12
This will set the password for the Administrator user to be Password12 (case sensitive).
Closing the command prompt, you should now be able to log back onto the server using the password you have provided in the last step.
Once you have verified you can log on to the server you will have repeat the steps above and boot using the Windows Server 2008 DVD/ISO and run the command prompt again.
- Delete the newly created Utilman.exe from C:\Windows\System32
- Rename Utilman.exe.old back to Utilman.exe
You should be back up and running as if nothing ever happened.
82 Responses to Resetting Administrator Password in Windows 2008
Pingback: Resetting Administrator Password in Windows 2008 | General Interests
Pingback: Reset Administrator password in AD | The server admin
Pingback: درخواست ایزوی ریست کردن پسورد سرور 2008
Pingback: How can i â - ServerAB
Pingback: Resetting Administrator Password in Windows 2012 | Supriyono pages