Tech hero-outlook-2011-outlook-com

Published on December 28th, 2012 | by Kieran

Configuring and Outlook for Mac 2011

Recently I was asked if I have configured Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 with So similar to my Configuring Gmail (IMAP) and Outlook for Mac 2011 post, here is how I did it.

Microsoft have made no secret that they are trying to transition users from Hotmail to their new mail system. Therefore these instructions are for configuring  Outlook 2011 to work with your new email account.

Microsoft have done all the work for you and once you enter your email address Outlook 2011, should configure the rest for you you. Just in case your settings are not applied, here are the settings that I found to work with my address.

Incoming Server:
Port: 995
Override Default Port: unchecked
Use SSL to connect (recommended): checked
Always use secure password: unchecked

Outgoing Server:
Port: 587
Override Default Port: checked
Use SSL to connect (recommended):

Step by Step

Here are the steps required to configure Outlook 2011 to work with your email account.

1. Open Outlook 2011.

2. Click Tools > Accounts.

3. Click Add an Account or click Add add and then click Email.

4. When presented with the Enter your account information simply enter your or email address, enter your password and click Add Account.

5. Outlook 2011 should then automatically enter the server information for you.

Once you close the Accounts menu, Outlook 2011 should start a send / receive and your messages should start to download.

POP3 vs IMAP? At the time of writing, Microsoft does not support IMAP with so you may find that if your messages are all marked as being read in your Outlook 2011 client, these changes will not be reflected when you view the Web Client.
Update: 15th September 2013 – Microsoft has announced support for IMAP with For information how to configure IMAP please read Configuring Outlook 2011 with using IMAP.

Tags: , , , , , ,

About the Author

has worked with computers and technology for nearly 20 years. Based in the United Kingdom, he works throughout EMEA as a Solution Consultant, specialising in Fax & Document Distribution technologies. Predominantly blogging on he can also be found on Twitter @KieranLane, and Flickr.

22 Responses to Configuring and Outlook for Mac 2011

1. Tony Boucher says:

Kieran – is there not supposed to be a way to configure Outlook 2011 for Mac with your account as an exchange account?
    I’ve done this easily on my iPhone & iPad, and it was my understanding that it could be done on Outlook for Mac, but it just won’t have it – it comes up with the following error message:
    ‘Account cannot be added. Note that Outlook 2011 requires Exchange Server 2007 SP1 Update Rollup 4 or later’
    Surely the exchange server is not out of date. Seems bizarre that I can only have it as a pop3 account on my big machines when my mobile devices are all singing all dancing.
    Appreciate any help you can give.

• Dennis L says:

@Tony – I am getting the same message. says to add the account as an Exchange account, so don’t see why this article recommends using a POP account.

2. Dennis L says:

You might make sure your Outlook 2011 is up to date. You can add your as an Exchange account, which is the recommended way of adding it:

3. David says:

I have the same question as Tony.

4. Kieran says:

Hi Guys

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I have been doing some more research and the “Add Exchange Account” mechanism for Outlook 2011 will work for Office 365 for professionals and small businesses, Office 365 for enterprises, Microsoft Exchange, [email protected] accounts only.

In the above example, I am using a free / email address. When I try using the “Add Exchange Account” method it tries to use autodiscover.xml for both and, and for my account it returns “XML Parsing Error: no element found”.

To verify I have tried to using “Add Exchange Account” with my Office 365 and it works perfectly. So it could be an issue with email address or in fact a limitation of the free service.

As Tony says, it such a pity because it works beautifully with my iPhone and iPad.

5. nicki g says:

It’s a pity microsoft have limited as an exchange service to mobile iOS devices only (works perfectly on windows 7&8 of course.) I suppose the thinking is that they had no choice if they wanted Hotmail/Outlook to be used on iOS devices – using hotmail/ as a pop only service on a mobile is a terrible experience and just pushes you to genuinely integrated services like google/yahoo/icloud etc! Why MS doesn’t bite the bullet and give exchange to any mac device beats me – I suppose it’s an attempt to upsell users to Office 365 and stop commercial users going for a free product. Makes commerical sense in the short term but ultimately short changes “free” customers who’ll switch out when they realise changing email address is no longer a big deal.

• larrymcj says:

@nicki g: Sorry…but you’re misstating something that could confuse readers here. syncs with iOS devices using Exchange Active Sync (EAS) and give you 100% PUSH for email, contacts, and calendar (even reminders, if you use them in

I’ve used Gmail since the week it launched, and have also used Google Apps since it launched. With Google’s recent “slap in the face” that stopped Google Sync for new iOS devices, I gladly pulled the plug on them. I’ve been a geek for a lot of years and have to tell you I couldn’t be happier with It’s simple, elegant, as fast as any web app can be (depends on your computer & bandwidth), and for email, contacts and calendar…it works great. The calendar interface is the only piece that still old Hotmail technology, but it’s not that bad…and Microsoft says they’re working on a new UI for it.

6. Michael Mizen says:

I think I have a similar situation. MacBookAir and iPhone5. Client wishes to get his contacts and calendar to synch. Office 2011 and Mountain Lion breaks synch services. Thus my approach.

Clarification: Is there a paid service? Is this Office 365?

7. shane says:

Hi Keiran, Thank you for the tips on configuring for outlook for mac 2011. Like others it was not configuring using exchange settings. Your instructions worked perfectly for receiving emails, but sending does not work. I am getting the following message ‘5.7.3 Requested action aborted; user not authenticated’

• Kieran says:

Hi Shane,

On the account setup, try clicking ‘More Options…’ and then under the ‘Authentication’ select ‘User Name and Password’ and enter your email address and password. Then try again.

8. Arne Riis says:

Hi Kieran

I have setup the outlook 2011 on an IMAC and it works fine for the email part, but all my calendar entries does not come over, any solution to that? I have an personal calendar and a share one (the one that can be done with window phones). I would like to see both one my IMAC one way or another and it works so fine on the IPAD.
    The only option now is to log on to the internet account and that way see the calendar.

Cheers Arne

9. Robert says:

I get constant error messages in Outlook 2011 for Mac saying mail in the outbox could not be sent. The settings are correct.

10. Alexander says:

Hi Guys! contains Exchange ActiveSync and it works fine on my Outlook 2013. But I can’t connect it to my Outlok 2011.

After pop setting you can find Exchange Activesync settings

11. Al says:

Hi Kieran,

thanks for the information email is syncing fine. But doesn’t contacts and calendar also sync with outlook:mac 2011….

Please help!

12. Paul says:

I recently installed 2011 outlook on my new iMac and when i received my emails, only received 7 days and no folders on Is there a way to solve this? On the apple icon, all my emails show, but no folders. Do you have any ideas?

13. Lou Zucaro says:

So, just to clarify… accounts can ONLY be set up as POP/SMTP in Outlook 2011 on the Mac? EAS / Hotmail type accounts cannot be set up in Outlook 2011 on the Mac?

This is really unfortunately, since’s POP service prevents you from checking your e-mail more than a few times during a 15 minute period. This means that business users simply cannot use the service on a Mac, as far as I can tell, because there’s no way most business users will be ok checking their mail every 10 or 15 minutes.

14. Rick says:

Hi Kieran, is there a way to synchronize the contacts in my Outlook address book with

15. Randy says:

Any idea how to sync Office/Outlook for Mac 2011 with Blackberry 10 (Z10)?

Thanks in advance.

16. Steve says:

I was wondering if you know of a way I can remove the ‘sent on behalf of’ outgoing info, in Outlook 2011 for Mac. I have a business email account and an in-house/personal email account. I need to keep them separate and anonymous. My outgoing business emails often have this ‘sent on behalf of’ with my in-house email account info on them. I need to stop this from happening.

Any info is helpful.

Thank you.

• Kieran says:

Hi Steve,

In Gmail go to your Settings > Accounts and find the email address you want to send as. Click the edit info. Click next step and you should be given an option to send through yourdomain. SMTP servers.

Here you specify an SMTP server to relay your outbound message. This should get around the sending on behalf of.

Hope this helps.